Portaferry Market House, a B1 listed building which dominates Market Square, was constructed in 1752 and is typical of an Irish market house. It has an arcaded open-plan ground floor and open plan hall/courtroom to the first floor, but few original features survive.
Kriterion Conservation Architects undertook an architectural assessment of the building, which is owned and managed by Ards and North Down Borough Council, and is used frequently as a community centre for the local area.
During the assessment we made a record of original features and general condition, liaising with a timber and damp-proof specialist to complete a thorough examination of the fabric to help determine overall condition and outline appropriate and sensitive remedial measures.
The project, which was supported by the HLF Townscape Heritage Initiative and stakeholders including HLF, Portaferry Regeneration Ltd and Council community managers, produced a Conservation Appraisal, Feasibility Study and Heritage, Design and Access Statement which informed the refurbishment proposals.