As Conservation Architects, we were appointed to refurbish and extend the derelict 1888 Old School,
which is located on the Coast Road in the Glenarm Conservation Area of the outstandingly beautiful
Glens of Antrim.
The works for this innovative regeneration project included opening up and remodelling the Old School Room to incorporate a welcoming visitor information space with coffee, display and sales areas, plus the insertion of a first floor to accommodate a jewellery craft workshop.
The workshop is occupied by Steenson Jewellers, well known artisans who are part of the Craft International ECONOMUSEE and have been established in the Glenarm village since 1976. Thanks to this relocation, their business has increased dramatically.
The Glenarm Buildings Preservation Trust manages and staffs the community room and visitor facilities, with this awarding winning heritage and tourism facility benefitting visitors as well as the voluntary and private sector needs of the entire local community.
The Trust’s aspiration is that the project will demonstrate quality regeneration for the village and act as an exemplar and catalyst for further projects. Funding was secured from the Coastal Communities Fund, NITB, Larne Borough Council, Ulster Garden Villages and Garfield Weston fund.